ʟᴀʏᴏᴜᴛ ʙʏ © ᴍ ᴏ ᴄ ʜ ᴀ
The layout was made specially for me.
All links open in a new tab.

 20 Things that are different here
1. People actually say 'bless you' if you sneeze (like if I'm in class and I sneeze, at least 3 other guys will just say bless you when I don't even know them.)

2. Practically everyone tells you to 'Have a good one/day/night'

3. People actually make small talk like, 'I like your headphones' or 'You're back again' or 'I like your mismatched socks!'

4. They do not have the repetitive 'Thank you's that we have when we collect our stuff after paying. (They tell us to have a good one instead)

5. Anyone is a potential friend - in the toilet? Stopping at the traffic light? Browsing the store? Waiting for coffee? They can just talk to about anyone about anything 

6. Most stores closes really early (the mall near my place closes at like 6pm) 

7. Practically everyone holds doors open for the next person (I mean, we do that too, but it's really nearly everyone I have come across here does this.) 

8. People trust their bikes not to be stolen. Dozens of bikes in school isn't even locked and sometimes I go to stores, I just park it outside for a while while I grab my stuff. It's like, in singapore, even if you lock your bike, it will probably get stolen sooner or later. 

9. Vegetables are extremely expensive here. Like one napa lettuce in wegmans can cost US$13 and it isn't even organic - I just don't understand the pricing. 

10. Meat, on the other hand, can be gotten for rather cheap. I just got 4 huge chicken thighs for about $4 and there are still even cheaper options around. 

11. Macdonalds isn't 24/7, nor do they deliver. 

12. Speaking of which, I have not seen a single KFC around so far

13. Campus newspaper actually provide useful information and are interesting (idk, it seems like all the newsletter we get in singapore are just speeches by directors and such) 

14. I don't know if it just me, but I have not heard a single car honk so far

15. Freedom of speech - random people can come to campus, draw with chalk across the floor saying "you're all slaves" or the like, and make speeches about religion and it's totally fine (I think) 

16. Facebook is like a must here; one of my course even needs us to have a Facebook to keep updated with events. "How can she not have Facebook?" one of my Japanese course classmate asked when we were looking for another classmate. 

17. People here use snapchat the way we use Instagram 

18. Football is a huge thing here (sounds like a redundant fact but we don't even have football) and there was a match in our campus stadium and it was almost like the talk of the school.
 
19. My campus has a freaking lake. We get to do kayaking, canoeing, rowing, paddle pops, and other water sports for free there (weather permitting). 

20. I have carpooled twice, and both times one of the first questions asked was "what music do you listen to?" because they want to put on music that would suit everyone's taste in music in the car. 

Labels: ,

"20 Things that are different here" was Posted On: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 @10:41 AM | 0Omnomnomnomnom

« Older posts | Newer posts»

Copyrighted © TeaCakeHouse.
View with Google Chrome in a 1280 x 800 SR. Inspired by Kaith, Images from Cursor from Images from

ʟᴀʏᴏᴜᴛ ʙʏ © ᴍ ᴏ ᴄ ʜ ᴀ